Naval Region Northwest, Bangor, WA
Total Facilities Management & Integrated Facilities Services
EMCOR GOVERNMENT SERVICES VALUE DELIVERED
Enhanced cost control; employment for experienced senior technicians; new opportunities for construction and facilities services personnel, increased business for local small business subcontractors; a customized government facilities services solution that includes management of various support services.
NAVAL BUILDING OPERATIONS & MAINTENANCE OBJECTIVES
Building operations and maintenance of its Puget Sound naval facilities as cost efficiently as possible, while maintaining consistently high service delivery levels.
TOTAL FACILITIES MANAGEMENT SOLUTIONS
EMCOR Solutions: To achieve its objectives, the client contracted with EJB, a joint venture for which EMCOR Facilities Services acts as managing partner. Under the terms of this fixed price, indefinite duration/indefinite quantity (ID/IQ) contract, more than 500 joint venture and subcontractor professional, technical and crafts personnel provide a variety of support facilities maintenance services for Naval Base-Kitsap and other outlying sites. Overall, the contract covers facilities extending over 25-million square feet of space in 850 different buildings.
Furthermore, since the contract includes facilities operations support services in western Puget Sound, EJB has to coordinate these services over a wide geographic area, with several full service locations separated from each other by Puget Sound and its tributaries. To maintain an effective, ongoing service delivery platform, EJB must satisfy a number of performance criteria. First, building maintenance services are provided under a volume-based contract with annual task order quotas. Educating both Navy and EJB employees to achieve the best results under this type of agreement took time, especially during the early months of the term. During that period, however, EJB held frequent partnering meetings with Navy technical managers and base contracting officers, an approach that helped build a healthy working relationship. In addition, EJB has continued to work with the Navy to develop processes and procedures that will enable EJB to apply its experience more effectively.
The Navy also required EJB to subcontract 75 percent of all service contracts to small businesses. As a result, EJB subcontracts over $1.3 million worth of work each month to certified small businesses. These subcontracts cover such items as wastewater support, hazardous waste handling, street sweeping, pest control, snow removal and warehouse operations. Another challenge was the aging workforce. When EJB assumed project leadership in 2006, its human resources specialists aggressively recruited and retained incumbent employees. However, since a large percentage of that group was nearing retirement, the organization also had to prepare for the future. That meant recruiting and training the next generation of support personnel in a difficult, low-unemployment market. To meet this need, EJB created a full-time recruiting position, while also strengthening its ties to the local United Steel Workers Union and International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers.
Finally, the Navy required integrated facilities services solutions tailored to the specific needs of each facility type. This was especially critical within the Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations (JCAHO)-accredited Bremerton Naval Hospital, where the team must consistently meet rigorous building operations and quality standards for uptime, safety and work completion. Additional Information: In addition to effectively managing the issues discussed above, EJB provides a range of other MEP (mechanical, electrical and plumbing) services to this account. These include:
- Asbestos, regulated waste and spill response programs
- Chiller services
- Crane services
- Facilities investment services, including heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC), plumbing, general maintenance, electrical services and more to many different building types, such as office space, hospitals and healthcare environments, warehouses, computer and data centers, power transfer stations, industrial
buildings and other facilities.
- Facilities management services, including quality inspections, work control and warranty monitoring.
- High- and low-voltage electrical services, including substation lines and shore power systems.
- Naval facilities maintenance and tenant services for a 750-unit base housing development.
- Management and administration of every contracted service through an independently installed and operated MAXIMO Customer Maintenance Management System.
- Electrical services, steam, water/wastewater, compressed air and natural gas utilities.
- Potable water system oversight, including chlorination programs, above-ground reservoirs and on-base well heads
- Refuse collection, and biomedical and hazardous waste disposal
- Street sweeping and snow removal
- Subcontracting and supervision of pest control services and a 100-armed-guard security force.
- Visual information services
- Wastewater sewer line and lift station services
In addition, EJB maintains a natural gas central steam plant that serves the core submarine base at Bangor, as well as a full maintenance and body shop for base support vehicles and equipment.
GOVERNMENT FACILITY BACKGROUND
Naval Region Northwest’s main military facility is the Navy’s submarine base in Bangor, Washington, which is primarily home port for the U.S. Pacific submarine fleet. However, the site also consists of an array of other significant facilities. These include the Naval Undersea Warfare Center in Keyport, WA; Puget Sound Naval Shipyard, the Fleet Industrial Supply Center and Naval Hospital in Bremerton, WA; and the Naval Magazine on Indian Island.